David Behring — Wheelchair Foundation, January 12, 2015
The Wheelchair Foundation is an organization leading an international effort to create awareness of the needs of people with physical disabilities and to deliver a wheelchair to everyone in the world who needs one but cannot afford one. Since it’s establishment on June 13, 2000, the Wheelchair Foundation has witnessed hundreds of thousands of examples of how mobility creates independence and new possibilities for recipients and their families. A mobile child is able to attend school, a mobile adult is able too get a job or care for their children and a mobile elderly person can rejoin society or family activities after years of being confined to a bed. The joy and hope that a simple mobility device can deliver is what gives people a new outlook on life and hope for the future.
- There are at least 500 million people in the world need wheelchairs.
Started with medical and other supplies delivered
- Everything changed in 1997 when Ken Behring delivered Wheelchairs and caught a vision for wheelchair needs
Manufactured in China.
- Original goal of 1,000,000 wheelchairs in five years.
15 years to meet the goal
Rotary is responsible for 1/3 of these.
Rotary got the vision of providing wheelchairs for Polio victims.
- Provided wheelchairs for Haiti victims who suffered amputations.
- Land mines are still causing dismembering.
- Aging — Guatemala had a single wheelchair for 85 residents at an “old folks” clinics
Fire Alumni presentation — Bob Atlas January 5, 2015
“Do your job; do it right; always”
- Fire Alumni one goal: provide best people to do the firefighting job.
- It offers assistance to fire candidates who are interested in joining their professional ranks and firefighters who are on a promotion track.
- Firefighters are driven by a spirit of servant leadership and a willingness to put themselves in harm’s way
- Their goal is to enlarge the pool of truly well prepared candidates.
- They offer private coaching, helping applicants with their resumes, for example, and assisting fire fighters to secure advancement to captain and then to battalion chief by offering classes in such things as Incident Command and Incident Management.
- They offer college-level Public Safety courses and host a monthly Firefighter Candidate Conference.
- “We are passionate about helping others succeed — to get the job of their dreams or the promotion that they have been hoping for. Their success is our success. In the end, their success is the only measure we care about.”